Espagnole (Brown) Sauce
- ¾ pint (420 ml) of brown meat stock
- 1 oz (30 g) of butter
- 1 oz (30 g) chopped streaky bacon
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped shallot
- 4 tbsp of chopped mushrooms
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp of tomato purée
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- Place the butter in a large saucepan and heat gently until it melts.
- Add the chopped bacon and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and continue to gently fry all the ingredients until the vegetables have softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook the flour mixture (roux) until it turns a dark brown colour. Do not allow it to burn.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the meat stock a little at a time.
- Continue to stir the sauce continuously until it thickens and then add the tomato purée, the bouquet garni and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for about an hour.
- Skim the top of the sauce from time to time.
- When the sauce is ready, you should have a thick brown strong-tasting sauce. Strain the sauce into a new pan through a sieve so that only the liquid passes through.
- Serve as you wish or freeze the sauce in individual batches for later use.